Born in Manchester, England, Darren made a very bright start to his athletics career winning the 100m and 200m gold medals at the 1991 European Junior Championships held in Thessaloniki, Greece and following this up with silver medals in the same events a year later at the 1992 World Junior Championships, behing Ato Boldon both times. But cursed with injury he took time off from athletics to play football for Plymouth Argyle F.C. and Newport County A.F.C. amongst others. After returning to the track in 1995 he was sufficiently recovered enough to represent Britain in the Summer Olympic Games the following year and with a few hiccups along the way has made himself into a regular in the national team. The 2000 Olympic Games saw him take a silver medal in the 200 m. In 2001 Darren was again hit by injury which made him miss the majority of the years competitions. 2002 saw Darren win the 100 m. at the European Championships then compete in his home town at the Commonwealth Games. He could only manage bronze in his individual event the 200 m. but brought home the gold in the 4 x 100 m. relay along with squad members Jason Gardener, Marlon Devonish and Allyn Condon. In 2003 Darren went to the Paris World Championships where he took bronze again in the 100 m. and bettered this in the relay, taking silver.
Darren’s aim following retirement was to maintain involvement in professional sport, to be able to help other athletes achieve their goals, the sprint training consultancy that he provides to football and rugby players (Andy Johnson and Mark Cueto to name just two) and his role with PAS fulfils this ambition. Darren’s main priority was to ensure the products were safe for all drug tested athletes, since day one all products have been batch screened at HFL to ensure they contain no banned substances. We have been actively involved with HFL and the development of the Informed Sport testing protocol and are fully committed to its widespread application in professional sport. .
Darren is currently a co presenter of sky sports game changers which is aired on a Saturday Morning on Sky Sports 1 and Sky one.
- 1991 European Junior Athletics Championship – Thessaloniki, Greece
- 100 m gold medal 200 m gold medal 4 x 100 m relay silver medal 1992 IAAF World Junior Championships – Seoul, South Korea
- 100 m silver medal 200 m silver medal 4 x 100 m relay gold medal 1996 European Cup – Madrid, Spain
- bronze medal 1997 World Championships – Athens, Greece
- bronze medal 1998 European Championships – Budapest, Hungary
- 100 m gold medal 4 x 100 m relay gold medal Commonwealth Games – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 4 x 100 m gold medal 1999 World Championships – Seville, Spain4 x 100 m
- relay silver medal European Cup – Paris, France
- 4 x 100 m gold medal 2000 Summer Olympics – Sydney, Australia
- 200 m silver medal European Cup – Gateshead, England
- 100 m gold medal 4 x 100 m relay gold medal 2002 European Championships – Munich, Germany
- 100 m gold medal Commonwealth Games – Manchester, England
- 200 m bronze medal 4 x 100 m relay gold 2003 World Championships – Paris, France
- 100 m bronze medal 4 x 100 m relay silver medal European Cup – Florence, Italy
- 4 x 100 m relay bronze medal
- As well as these performances, during his career Darren has also won seven national titles at either the 100 or 200 metres
Darren speaks about setting goals and overcoming obstacles to reach the pinnacle of his sport to hundreds of business people from across Lancashire.